Aga Khan University
Nairobi, Kampala or Dar es Salaam, East Africa
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents (www.aku.edu). An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org), AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The AKU global network of libraries support students and faculty in their study, teaching and research needs. Collections include books, journals, educational reports, audio/visual aids and digital media. We also provide access to online journals, eBooks and other resources.
Applications are, invited from appropriately qualified candidates for the above position based in any one of the AKU campuses in East Africa. The position holder will report to the Associate Vice Provost & University Librarian, AKU and will be responsible for the overall management of the Library services in East Africa, including the delivery of quality services and provision of sound leadership of the Library staff. The position holder will require a full understanding of the breadth and scope of an academic library.
• Overall responsibility over the library services at AKU EA campuses
• Develop and implement library strategic goals, policies and procedures
• Responsible for budgeting and procurement of information resources required for AKU teaching, learning and research activities
• Develop and maintain a network for inter-library cooperation for AKU East Africa, including professional development programs for library staff
• Oversee the development and implementation of technological innovations to support AKU library strategic goals
• Ensure the implementation of Integrated Library System and Institutional Repository in AKU East Africa
• Prepare and coordinate the execution of regular Information Literacy programmes to all library users in EA
• Initiate and maintain cooperation with all information resource providers (print and digital)
• Initiate and maintain cooperation with local, regional and international academic library consortia
• Supervise cataloguing and indexing of books and periodicals according to agreed international standards
• Coordinate the management and operations of Multimedia Services
• Prepare annual reports and other reports related to the library services
• Ensure security and safety of AKU libraries in East Africa
• Participate within and outside AKU in forums related to library strategic goals
• A Masters degree in Library and Information Science; a PhD in Library and Information Science will be an added advantage.
• A minimum of 10 years working experience as a Senior Librarian at an institution of higher learning
• Demonstrated excellence in communication and interpersonal skills,
• Have excellent supervisory skills
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Library ICT Systems and international bibliographic standards (MARC, AACR2, RDA, Dublin core, LCSH, MESH etc.)
Send your cover letter, together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae, the names of three referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of certificates should be sent to, the Manager, Human Resources, Aga Khan University’s Campus Nairobi, Kenya. P. O. Box 30270-00100 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Applications by email are preferred.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be submitted latest by December 18, 2019